Вопросы, связанные с обычаями, учреждениями, образованием и т.д. в других странах. Поиск советов для путешествующих друзей для переписки и т.д. ...

23.10.2012 12:57:18

Etikette

HeidrunKollider

Hi,

A friend who recently moved to Germany invited some neighbours to her flat for coffee and felt they were disappointed with the casual coffee and biscuits she gave them– rather than the more elaborate/formal coffee with home-made cakes etc. that she hadn’t realised were expected in Germany.

Is there a guide to German entertaining/etiquette available that could help her to avoid future embarrassment?

Thanks in advance.

hk

23.10.2012 13:23:21

Re: Etikette

Fishnchips

Hello Heidrun,

Here's an article with some good info and tips on the German Kaffee and Kuchen tradition including some favourite cakes.

Hmm, may nip out to the baker shortly .... ;)

HTH
Fishnchips

23.10.2012 17:47:55

HeidrunKollider

Thanks Fishnchips - but there doesn't seem to be a link?

hk

24.10.2012 13:52:43

Fishnchips

Hi Heidrun,

Sorry, I must have forgotten or deleted the link by mistake, here goes, some favourite cakes:

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__W__t__G/01/11__Kaffee__Kuchen/11__Kaffee__Kuchen__S.html

HTH
Fishnchips

30.10.2012 11:07:36

HeidrunKollider

Thanks again Fishnchips – really nice lnk.

I must admit I’d never heard of East Friesland tea culture :)

hk

31.10.2012 15:16:51

Re: Etikette / Kaffee- und Teekultur in GB + Deutschland

Laura77

Hi@all,

That's an interesting question about tea / coffee culture! Coming from a tea-drinking GB background I came to know Germany as a coffee-drinking culture. It was only latert as well that I came to know about the tea culture in Northern Germany.
I went looking and came up with some interesting background information on this topic:

http://lowlands-l.net/travels/teetied.php

Изображение

Time to put the kettle on! Cheers
Laura77

31.10.2012 17:38:04

fredbär

HeidrunKollider писал(а):Hi,

A friend who recently moved to Germany invited some neighbours to her flat for coffee and felt they were disappointed with the casual coffee and biscuits she gave them– rather than the more elaborate/formal coffee with home-made cakes etc. that she hadn’t realised were expected in Germany.

Is there a guide to German entertaining/etiquette available that could help her to avoid future embarrassment?

Thanks in advance.

hk

Hallo HeidrunKollider,

Came across this not very serious list of ‘rules’ which may help (or not ;);

http://www.thelocal.de/gallery/culture/1543/

(Some of these seem pretty unlikely to me - I don't know what the rest of you think?)

Regards,

fredbär

How charmed I am when I overhear a German word which I understand! - Mark Twain

01.11.2012 14:17:40

Flöte

This is really fun to read, because for us germans its so evident to serve a nice cake to coffee or tea.... :)

But since we are at "Etikette". Do you guys thinks it´s unfriendly to serve food to quests from a delivery service?
Im not the best in cooking so....

Cheers

HeidrunKollider писал(а):Hi,

Thanks in advance.

hk

01.11.2012 17:44:56

89rules

Hey all, I've been meaning to jump into this conversation for a while, so here goes... It's too bad if indeed those friends were disappointed with what they got. I guess I'd prefer a nice piece of cake and a great cuppa joe to biscuits and ordinary coffee any day, too, but heck, if my friends invite me over in the first place, how can I complain? Sometimes I think traditions and customs and expectations are often overblown / over-rated... I definitely love that German/Austrian Kaffeeklatsch ritual, however. We don't really have the same thing here in the U.S. so I miss it. As a matter of fact, I'm already looking forward to my next piece of Sachertorte! We eat our share of pastries over here, but somehow it's just not the same.

As for the making-eye-contact-while-clinking-glasses rule in Germany, well, it's definitely not required in Japan or the US. I've lived in several countries and therefore I sometimes get confused by rituals and traditions, since they change from place to place. Personally, because I've moved so much, I don't put much stock in traditions and rituals and what is considered rude and so on...

Oh, and as for the sitting-down-to-pee rule (for men, that is): I still remember the first time a buddy of mine asked (told?) me to do that when using the toilet in his apartment. At first, I thought he was joking, but I quickly realized he was deadly serious. I eventually started seeing more and more of those "Bitte im Sitzen pinkeln" signs (including the really humorous ones!) and was happy to learn that my friend wasn't the only one who required that. I've grown to see that that "rule" makes perfect sense, but you'll have a hard time selling that to 99% of the men out there (at least in this country)...

Anyway, very nice links. There's a lot I still have to learn!

Take it easy,
89rules

02.11.2012 13:57:18

Laura77

Hi@all,

I really like fredbär's etiquette link!

This reminds me of a thread we once had about queuing -

http://forum.pons.eu/de/search.php?q=queuing&l=deen&in=&lf=de&kbd=&search_in=forum

whereas the British stand in lines, in Germany you stand were you are when you come into a shop (such as a baker's) and have to observe who arrived before you and who after so that you know when your turn in the queue is! When in doubt, it is always better to ask!
This applies also to the person serving, who will, when in doubt, ask "Who's next?" Exeptions to this are the queue in the supermarket and the post office.

Anyone have any stories to tell here?

Cheers
Laura77

След.

Интерфейс Deutsch | Ελληνικά | English | Español | Français | Italiano | Polski | Português | Русский | Slovenščina | Türkçe | 中文
Feedback