Вопросы, связанные с обычаями, учреждениями, образованием и т.д. в других странах. Поиск советов для путешествующих друзей для переписки и т.д. ...

02.11.2011 16:41:16

Halloween in Germany

Fishnchips

Halloween seems to be becoming a trend in Germany - has anyone else noticed this too?

http://www.stern.de/lifestyle/lebensart/halloween-wie-deutschland-das-gruseln-lernte-1619054.html

Looking forward to hearing from you :mrgreen: ,
:mrgreen: Fishnchips

03.11.2011 16:14:33

Re: Halloween in Germany

[PONS] ponshobbit
Hi Fishnchips,

I was recently "boo-ed" at by some ghostly German school kids wearing bedsheets. :roll:
So I tend to agree. Any more opinions on this? Do you generally think this is becoming as widespread as in the Anglo-American culture?

Regards,
Ponshobbit

29.11.2011 13:24:40

sakatayana

I would agree to that, although there is already the so-called "Martinssingen" (trick or treating with a nicer background story) on 10th/11th of November, people tend to go trick or treating on Halloween too.

EDIT: Oh and yes, I think this is becoming a real thing, although I do not approve, as it seems only to be part of this hole "let's copy everything that is US-American" trend. And of course the economy, but this is a completely different story :)

29.11.2011 16:38:34

Re: Halloween in Germany; cultural supermarket?

Laura77

Hi,

I tend to agree with Sakatayana - every year there are more and more turnip lanterns grinning at me in the street :mrgreen: every year - whether for Martinsumzug / Halloween / Autumn.
It seems to me like a kind of fusing of the cultures - while this can bring in variety, the "melting pot" does sometimes have the effect of it being the same everywhere. :mrgreen:

So on the one hand there are more occasions to party, on the other hand - I would love to hear from other pons community members on how they view the cultural supermarket :?:

The Halloween aspect seems to have come in through the Kindergarten:

http://www.kindergarten-seiten.de/halloween.htm

Anyway, it's probably time now to start a thread on Christmas ;)

Cheers,
Laura77

01.12.2011 15:05:42

adman

I remember reading some time ago that Halloween was quite popular in France for a few years but that they’d quickly got bored with it - once the novelty had worn off, they thought ‘actually, this has got nothing to do with us’.

Maybe the same will happen in Germany?

adman

01.12.2011 16:11:45

Laura77

Hi adman,

have a look at this:

http://french.about.com/library/bl-halloweeninfrance.htm

I guess there is a difference whether a tradition has cultural roots - new ones may "catch on" -
although Halloween also has some Celtic roots, and there were Celts in northern France - possibly the tradition didn't find its way back to Europe after spreading to USA??

Cheers
Laura77

05.12.2011 18:11:19

adman

I guess both the French and the Germans will take Halloween and quite rightly turn it into something slightly different :)

On the holiday theme, I'm trying to figure out exactly what Nikolaus is! It seems to be like a mini-Christmas? Do people exchange proper gifts? Or just mini-presents as a taster for the main event on the 25th?

adman

29.01.2012 15:51:46

[PONS] Linguistin
Hi adman,

we celebrate Nikolaus on November 6th, because this is his Saint's Day (like Valentines Day is the Saint's Day of the Bishop Valentinus).
I think therefore it is just a coincidence that it is celebrated shortly before Christmas.
It isn't really a great celebration. Usually one puts a boot outside the door and the next morning the Nikolaus has put chocolate and sweets in it.
When I was young, we only got some chocolate, but it seems like today the children get more and more presents at this day.

31.10.2012 15:30:10

Re: Halloween USA / GB / Germany

Laura77

Hi@all,

I've been wondering whether Halloween customs are more common in the USA than, for example, in Britain - interested to know what others think on this topic? We've had this thread before, but maybe there are some new questions / ideas?

http://usa.usembassy.de/holidays-halloween.htm

:twisted:
If anyone's scared tonight .... log on to our forum!
Cheers
Laura77

15.11.2012 19:26:18

89rules

Hi Laura77, It's a bit late perhaps to be picking up this topic again, since Halloween is over and everyone is now looking forward to Turkey Day, but I can say that here in the US Halloween is extremely popular. I can't imagine that Halloween could be more popular in any other country than it is here. For Halloween here, for example, people decorate their houses inside and out, you see jack-o'-lanterns everywhere, there are heaps and heaps of candy for sale in the stores, there are tons of parties, cafés and coffee shops have special Halloween treats and drinks, and millions of kids go trick-or-treating. That's hard to beat. What's Halloween like in Britain?

Take it easy,
89rules

Интерфейс Deutsch | Ελληνικά | English | Español | Français | Italiano | Polski | Português | Русский | Slovenščina | Türkçe | 中文
Feedback