Вопросы по грамматике немецкого языка

07.09.2012 10:20:25

Re: Mädchen - es or sie?

Stefan
I would like to add, that 'Mädchen' is a diminutive. Diminutive means to make somethin like a 'pet name' of any german noun.
Suffixes for diminutives are "chen" or "lein".
Any german noun could be prolonged with 'chen' or 'lein' and changes grammatically automaticly to neutrum.
Der Mann - Das Mänchen - Das Männlein
Die Frau - Das Fräulein - Das Frauchen
Die Oma - Das Omachen - Das Omalein - Das Omichen - Das Omilein
Der Opa - Das Opachen - Das Opalein - Das Opichen - Das Opilein
Der Hund - Das Hündchen - Das Hündelein
Die Tür - Das Türchen - Das Türlein
Der Präsident - Das Präsidentchen - Das Präsident(e)lein
Die Weltkugel - Das Weltkügelchen - Das Weltkügellein

Mädchen is a diminutive that has lost its basic noun.
Die Magd (maidservant) - Das Mägdelein - Das Mägdchen
Within the last 300 years the 'g' got lost and also the meaning of "Magd" for Woman. So today, "Mädchen" is a standalone diminutive.
The Word "das Mädel" is still known, but only a shortform of 'Mägdelein'. So also diminiutive.
Only in southgerman dialects the basic word can still be found: "die Made" and "die Maid" (for yound women)

Another Example is "Märchen".
Die Mär - Das Märchen
The noun "Die Mär" is nearly extinguished in the german langue. Anybody would say "Die Geschichte".
But "Märchen" is Neutrum, though "Mär" used to be Femininum.

I hope this is helpful to understand the grammatical logic.
-> There is no 'german rule' to degrade a girl to Neutrum!

As the grammatical basic noun for Mädchen got lost, the word is also for the germans no real diminutive any longer. Thats why the DUDEN also allows to use the 'sie' instead of 'es'. Not within the same sentence, but in the next sentece it is allowed to reference with "sie" to "das Mädchen".

27.09.2012 16:28:28

Laura77

Hi to all,

this has really turned out to be an interesting discussion, hasn't it!

Thanks for your explanation, Stefan. It all goes to show how language is a phenomenon subject to change and development - it lives ;)

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if something like this were to be officially changed in order to have no neutral girls :roll: , taking all the (ill)-logicalities of the German spelling reform into consideration, this would have been another possible candidate. ... but, as said already, the Duden is already half-way there

Cheers and thanks for all your contributions (BTW I am not closing the discussion ....)
,tLaura77
:D

30.09.2012 15:30:07

[PONS] Linguistin
Hi!

Maybe we should add that in some cases a totally different meaning has evolved by adding -chen or -lein
I think the best example is
die Frau - the woman
das Fräulein - dated, not used very often any more, German version of Miss (unmarried woman)
das Frauchen - I think this word is only used to refer to an owner of a dog, counterpart of the male "Herrchen"

02.10.2012 15:20:29

Karin M
Mang sagt aber, das sie ein nettes Mädchen ist, auch wenn es grammatikalisch korrekter wäre 'es ist nettes Mädchen' zu sagen. Es ist vielleicht besser 'sie' beim Sprechen zu verwenden, und 'es' beim Schreiben.

26.10.2012 14:45:11

Unsinn. Der Genus ist immer 'es'.

Grammatikus
Karin M писал(а):Mang sagt aber, das sie ein nettes Mädchen ist, auch wenn es grammatikalisch korrekter wäre 'es ist nettes Mädchen' zu sagen. Es ist vielleicht besser 'sie' beim Sprechen zu verwenden, und 'es' beim Schreiben.

Unsinn. Der Genus ist immer 'es'.

04.11.2012 22:42:41

[PONS] Linguistin
Hallo Karin,

damit hat das allerdings nichts zu tun:
In der vorherigen Diskussion ging es ja darum, ob man sich auf "das Mädchen" in folgenden Sätzen/Phrasen mit "es" oder mit "sie" bezieht. Da ist dieses Beispiel nicht passend, denn hier wird "sie" (damit bezieht man sich auf irgendjemanden, es kann auch "Marie", "die Schülerin" etc. gewesen sein) beschrieben als "nettes Mädchen". Damit bezieht sich das Pronomen nicht auf "das Mädchen", sondern auf jemanden, der vorher benannt wurde.

07.11.2012 13:56:13

adman

I think Linguistin raises an interesting point – when something has been described using two nouns of different gender (e.g. Mädchen/Tochter or Kind/Sohn) then, presumably, one can use either pronoun;

e.g. Sie (die Tochter) heißt Elsa.

or

Es (das Mädchen) heißt Elsa.

Doesn’t that get confusing?

adman

21.11.2012 15:49:00

Stefan
Karin M писал(а):Mang sagt aber, das sie ein nettes Mädchen ist, auch wenn es grammatikalisch korrekter wäre 'es ist nettes Mädchen' zu sagen. Es ist vielleicht besser 'sie' beim Sprechen zu verwenden, und 'es' beim Schreiben.

Regarding the discussion started by Karin M I would like to add the following:

I agree to [PONS] Linguistin. This is a completely different issue.
‘Sie ist ein Mädchen.’ Means, that ‘sie’ refers to a real person (a girl) and not to a grammatical phrase. As the speaker does know the sex, he has to refer to that person with ‘sie’! (Like in Englisch pronouns for pets.)
Only if the sex was unknown before, ‘es ist ein Mädchen’ would be correct.
For example:
A baby is born. And someone asks, if the baby is a boy or a girl:
‚Was ist es? Ein Junge oder ein Mädchen?’
Answer: ‚Es ist ein Mädchen.’
[The following question of this example refer to the previous discussion.
The speaker could refer to the grammatical phrase with ‘es’ or to the real person with ‘sie’.]
‘Wie groß und wie schwer ist sie?’ <das weibliche Kind>
or
‘Wie groß und wie schwer ist es?’ <das Mädchen>

Furthermore:
‚Sie ist ein nettes Mädchen.’ ‚Sie’ is the subject and ‚nettes Mädchen’ is the object. The object is applied to the subject. Never vice versa!
Other Examples:
‘Er ist ein Rindvieh!’
‚Er ist ein Genie.’
‚Er ist eine menschliche Katastrophe.’
‚Er ist eine männliche Hebamme.’
‚Er ist eine Stimmungskanone.’
‚Er ist meine Sonne.’
‚Sie ist der Sonnenschein in meinem Leben.’
A grammatical rule, that demands the harmonisation of sex from subjects and objects, doesn’t exist. Opposite is true! It is not allowed to change the grammatical sex of the subject according to the object!

Result:
‚Es ist ein nettes Mädchen.’
(1) This sentence is correct, if the sex was not known before, because the previous sentences dealed with ‘ein Kind’.
(2) This sentence is acceptable, if in one of the previous sentences the noun ‘Mädchen’ or ‘Kind’ was mentioned and the speaker would refer to this grammatical phrase.
(3) ‘Er ist ein Mädchen.’ This would be correct, if the speaker would refer to the grammatical phrase ‘der Säugling’.

Stefan

29.11.2012 18:02:09

Die Leute kennen den unterschied zwischen Genus und Sexus ni

Grammatikus
HeidrunKollider писал(а):Hi,

When talking about ‘ein Mädchen’, I know that grammatically one should use the pronoun ‘es’ but I was wondering if it was acceptable to use ‘sie’? (Referring to a girl as 'it' seems odd.)

Thanks in advance,

hk

Dieser Fehler kommt sehr häufig vor. Die Leute kennen den unterschied zwischen Genus und Sexus nicht.

05.12.2012 09:44:06

fredbär

Hi,

According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender#Grammatical_vs._natural_gender);

“There is a certain tendency to keep the grammatical gender when a close back-reference is made, but to switch to natural gender when the reference is further away. For example in German, the sentence “The girl has come home from school. She is now doing her homework” can be translated in two ways:

• Das Mädchen (n.) ist aus der Schule gekommen. Es (n.) macht jetzt seine (n.) Hausaufgaben.
• Das Mädchen (n.) ist aus der Schule gekommen. Sie (f.) macht jetzt ihre (f.) Hausaufgaben.

Though the second sentence may appear grammatically incorrect, it is commonly heard in speech. With one or more intervening sentences, the second form becomes more likely. However, no number of adjectives put between the article and the noun (e.g. das schöne, fleißige, langhaarige, blonde, [...] Mädchen) can license a switch from the neutral to the feminine article, so it is always considered wrong to say a sentence like die schöne [...] Mädchen.”

Regards,

fredbär

How charmed I am when I overhear a German word which I understand! - Mark Twain

Пред.

Интерфейс Deutsch | Ελληνικά | English | Español | Français | Italiano | Polski | Português | Русский | Slovenščina | Türkçe | 中文
Feedback