Вопросы, связанные с обычаями, учреждениями, образованием и т.д. в других странах. Поиск советов для путешествующих друзей для переписки и т.д. ...

05.11.2012 15:47:09

Guy Fawkes Day

Laura77

Hi@all,

Unlike Halloween, long thread that was ;)
an autumn tradition becoming more widespread in Germany, I don't think the British custom of "Guy Fawkes Night" is so well-known.
What do you think?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_Plot

It's also referred to as Bonfire Night

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonfire_Night

Greetings
Laura77

05.11.2012 17:10:03

Re: Guy Fawkes Day

folletto

Hi @ all,

This is what I learnt when I was in grade 6 or 7:

Guy Fawkes

In the year 1605 some people tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament where the king and his men made the laws. They put a lot of gunpowder in the cellars under the Houses of Parliament. A man called Guy Fawkes stayed in the cellar; he was ready to put a light to the gunpowder at the right time.
But the king heard of the plot. His soldiers went through the cellars, and there they found Guy Fawkes. They put him in prison, and later he was hanged.
The fifth of November is a great day for English children. They make a 'guy' of old clothes and put it on a cart. Then they sing in the streets,

"Remember, remember
The fifth of November!"

Everybody gives them 'a penny for the guy'. They buy crackers an other fireworks, and in the evening they burn the 'guy'.

It's nicely written, isn't it?

- I don't think the British custom of "Guy Fawkes Night" is so well-known.
I think every child learning English language will learn something about Guy Fawkes. It is important concerning customs and culture.

- do we have something similar/equivalent in Germany?

No. I don't think so.

Wir haben in Deutschland kein Pendant, da bei uns nie versucht wurde, das Parlament zu sprengen, um einen König abzusetzen.Dieses oder ein ähnliches Fest existiert daher bei uns nicht.
Natürlich spielen auch wir gerne mit Feuer - St. Martin (Martinsfeuer), Ostern (Osterfeuer), Silvester (Feuerwerk) - das alles ist aber kein Pendent zu Guy Fawkes. Außerdem denke ich, dass es keine Übersetzung für 'Bonfire Night' gibt, man muss es umschreiben und erklären.

Ich wünsche allen, die es feiern, ein schönes bonfire-night-firework :-)

Regards

Wer eine Fremdsprache lernt, zieht den Hut vor einer anderen Nation.
Martin Kessel

06.11.2012 13:56:49

Re: Guy Fawkes Day / Bonfire Night - UK Customs and Culture

Fishnchips

Hi folletto, hi Laura,

as folletto says, it's known somewhat in Germany under the heading of "Customs and Culture" / English language learning.
Fireworks also belong to bonfire night, which in Germany are customary on New Year's Eve ("Silvester").

There isn't an equivalent translation to "Bonfire Night", it's in the dictionary here with an explanation:

http://de.pons.eu/dict/search/results/?q=Bonfire+Night&l=deen&in=&lf=de&kbd=&search_in=dictionary

Both versions Guy Fawkes Day/Guy Fawkes Night are used, what would you tend to use more?

Regards
Laura

16.11.2012 20:18:23

Re: Guy Fawkes Day / Bonfire Night - UK Customs and Culture

DaveP

Fishnchips писал(а):
Both versions Guy Fawkes Day/Guy Fawkes Night are used, what would you tend to use more?

I think I tend to just say Guy Fawkes’

Dave

05.11.2013 19:40:45

Re: Guy Fawkes Day / Night / Bonfire Night

Laura77

Hi@ all,

I just thought I'd share a docudrama on the historical background behind the British custom of Guy Fawkes Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMLHau_rBJ8

Regards,
Laura77

Интерфейс Deutsch | Ελληνικά | English | Español | Français | Italiano | Polski | Português | Русский | Slovenščina | Türkçe | 中文