Какой будет перевод на немецкий язык?

15.05.2013 14:04:25

Translation from German to English - Letter from Professor

Battleship

Hi all,

My first post here.

I received this letter, but wasn't sure about the meaning of one sentence in it. I actually study in German language, but I am not native speaker and it happens sometimes that I do not understand something.

Letter:

...Auf eine Schriftprobe verzichten wir, da es sich scheinbar um eine Ausnahme-Situation handelt. Bitte warten Sie aber noch etwas ab, demnächst werde ich Sie über den tatsächlichen Stand informieren....

Roughly, I thought that professor wanted to say that based on the sample (which I provided earlier), they concluded/deducted that it is most likely an exceptional case, and they asked me to wait a bit longer... (2nd sentence I understand)

1) Now, I don't understand the use of the "auf etw. verzichten". Most online dictionaries translates this as "to relinquish sth." or "to renounce sth." etc. What was the meaning of the word in my case?
2) Also, am I right to assume that "Schriftprobe" means "sample", or are they referring to the (technical) checking of my handwriting?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions regarding the specifics of the case. I added short background summary below.

----

Some background about the letter - My exam was corrected by exam-office using wrong benchmark, which resulted in something similar to a 0 score. So I spoke to the professor, and provided him with the original papers and explained the situation. Now, they have been checking my papers for almost a month since I submitted everything, so I wrote to the professor yesterday to see if there have been any advancements in my case.

16.05.2013 21:53:28

anscheinend

Grammatikus

Auf eine Schriftprobe verzichten wir, da es sich anscheinend um eine Ausnahmesituation handelt. Bitte warten Sie, bis ich Sie demnächst über den tatsächlichen Stand informiere!

16.05.2013 23:19:38

Re: anscheinend

Battleship

Grammatikus писал(а):Auf eine Schriftprobe verzichten wir, da es sich anscheinend um eine Ausnahmesituation handelt. Bitte warten Sie, bis ich Sie demnächst über den tatsächlichen Stand informiere!

I don't see how this answers any of my questions?

Are you pointing out that professor made some grammar mistakes while sending me a quick message or what?

Please guys, some constructive answer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

17.05.2013 09:37:10

Re: Translation from German to English - Letter from Professor

muffa05

Hi Battleship!

1) I think verzichten means in this case, that they don't need it.

2)I don't know exactly your problem, so that I can't answer this question without speculating. By reading the background: Does "original papers" mean handwritten papers or sth. else? If it means handwritten papers, then it should really be a handwriting test to clarify if it was written by yourself.

I hope I was a better help than Grammatikus ;-)

Интерфейс Deutsch | Ελληνικά | English | Español | Français | Italiano | Polski | Português | Русский | Slovenščina | Türkçe | 中文